India lost a one of its the most gifted children when US Space Shuttle Columbia deteriorated on its way back to the earth before 16 years on this day.
India conceived Kalpana Chawla alongside six other team individuals lost her life. Kalpana Chawla keeps on moving a large number of individuals with her voyage from a little town in Punjab to space.
Donald Trump, US President has named Kalpana Chawla, the Indian-origin as an American legend for dedicating her life to the US space program and motivating a huge number of young female scientists to end up astronauts.
Donald Trump came with the comments, yesterday as he issued an announcement of proclaiming the long stretch of May Month as ‘Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month’.
The US Congress has additionally assigned the long stretch of May month every year as “Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month.”
Kalpana Chawla was the primary lady of Indian-origin in space. She was one of the seven team individuals who passed away in the debacle of Space Shuttle Columbia in 2003 when the craft crumbled when it was trying to enter into the Earth’s air.
President Trump said, “Indian-American Kalpana Chawla was the first woman of Indian descent to fly in space, and became an American hero for her devotion to the Space Shuttle programme and its various missions transporting cargo and crew to and from the International Space Station”.
The US Congress after death granted her the Congressional Space Medal of Honor for her accomplishments. And NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) granted her the NASA Space Flight Medal as well as the NASA Distinguished Service Medal posthumously, he added.
“Ms. Chawla’s courage and passion continue to serve as an inspiration for millions of American girls who dream of one-day becoming astronauts,” said President Trump.
The announcement noticed that amid Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, the Trump organization perceives their colossal commitments.
“Through their industriousness and love of country, our nation has enjoyed the privileges and enrichments of multiple innovations and societal advancements,” President Trump said.
There are a number of Asian-Americans and Pacific Islanders who call America home, incorporating those living in Guam, American Samoa, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas. The number of these are around 20 million. America, President Trump stated, is a nation that qualities diligent work, a legit living, and a guarantee to the goals of life, freedom, and the quest for satisfaction.
“Americans of Asian and Pacific Islander heritage help to reinforce these relationships, which are stronger today than ever before,” he added
“For these reasons, America cherishes its connections with the Indo-Pacific region, which shares an appreciation for these principles,” he asserted.
On the day, we recall Kalpana’s account of power and assurance with following back the pivotal occasions that happened in her life.
- Kalpana was conceived on March 17, 1962, in Punjab’s Karnal(now Haryana). Her official date of birth was changed to 1 July 1961 altogether make her qualified for the registration test.
- Kalpana Chawla used to draw planes in her childhood.
- Kalpana Chawla got her Bachelors in Aeronautical Engineering from Punjab Engineering College, Chandigarh in 1982. She went on to later seek after MS in Aerospace Engineering from the University of Texas, she additionally earned Ph.D. in aeronautic design.
- Chawla started working at NASA Ames Research Center in 1988.
- Following her long remain in the United States, she got the citizenship by naturalization in 1991.
- In 1997, Chawla traveled to space out of the blue when she was picked to be a mission authority and essential mechanical arm administrator in the Space Shuttle Columbia. With this, she turned into the main Indian-conceived lady to fly in the space.
- On 1 February 2003, Chawla’s second trip to the space deteriorating on its way back to ahead of schedule over returning. Kalpana kicked the bucket alongside 6 others.
- On 5 February 2003, the then Prime Minister of India, Atal Behari Vajpayee declared the renaming of Meteorological arrangement of satellites to MetSat.
- The Girls’ lodgings at PEC and Delhi Technological University have been named in her respect.
- Various scholarships as well as grants, foundations in India and the United States of America have been named after her.
We, pay our homage to the gem of space organization with wet eyes and hope India will produce more of such young and enthusiast ladies in this difficult field.