Government to introduce a constitutional amendment bill in Parliament today
The Union Cabinet has given its nod for a Constitutional amendment Bill providing 10 percent more reservation for economically weaker sections in direct recruitment (in Government jobs) and for admission in higher educational institutions.
Our informed sources said, this will be over and above 50 percent mandated by Constitution and hence the need for Constitution amendment Bill.
Indications are that the Constitutional amendment Bill will be introduced in Lok Sabha today on Tuesday.
The proposed amendment Bill will define the Economically Weaker Section (EWS) as:
- One having annual income below Rs 8 lakh
- Agriculture land below 5 acres
- Residential house below 1,000 ft
- Residential plot below 100 yards in notified municipality and residential plot below 200 yards in non-notified municipality area
- The income includes agricultural income, profession etc.
Rashtriya Swayam Sevaka Sangh (RSS), which is widely known as the BJP’s parent organisation, has always maintained that reservation should be along economic lines and not only along caste lines.
What is your opinion on 10% quota for EWS General Category?
Let us know in the comments section below.
Stay Tuned, Stay Updated!